18 Dec Recommendation Corner: Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil, hailing from Australia is one of nature’s greatest cures and a perfect item to keep in your first aid kit and pack. Tea Tree oil, also called melaleuca oil from the Melalueca tree, is an essential oil with amazing properties for disinfecting, in healing and cleaning.
*Tea tree oil is toxic to ingest, so be sure to use it in the recommended ways below*
Tea Tree oil is anti-viral, anti-fungal, antispectic. It helps with infections, skin conditions (like dry skin, scalp, or odor), blemishes, and illnesses such as cold and flu symptoms, sinus infection.
Methods of use:
1. Dab on blemishes, cuts, burns, and skin conditions (like eczema/psoriasis, etc).
2. Try using a few drops in the bath for skin conditions, cold and flu symptoms or aromatherapy.
3. Add to a vaporizer to loosen chest congestion, help flu symptoms and treat pesky sinuses.
4. Add a small amount to shampoo for dry scalp, dandruff or even head lice (ick!).
5. 15 drops in a quart of water make an effective insect repellent.
6. Put directly on insect bites or blisters when hiking or camping.
Tea tree oil makes an amazing all-purpose cleaner, as well as dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, bathroom disinfectant, and air deodorizer.
Methods of Use:
1. To create an all-purpose cleaner and disinfectant, combine 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil in 2 cups of water in a spray bottle or 14 ounces of water with 1 ounce of liquid soap and 10 drops of tea tree oil.
2. Mix the above solution with kosher salt to make a scrub.
3. Add a few drops to dishwasher soap.
4. A few drops added to each load of laundry for cleaner smelling clothes.
5. Control mold and mustiness with a tea tree oil/water spray.
Our favorite Tea Tree Oil provider? A new company launching out of Australia, called From Nature. I tested out there pure oil serum and it really made a difference with my psoriasis, something I’d tried to cure with every method in the book. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional info.
Have you tried Tea Tree Oil? Share your experiences below.